Sunday, September 1, 2019

My favourite sculpts: part 1


I felt like reminiscing over my past achievements as a sculptor, that’s actually the only reason for this topic. 

A long time ago I wanted to up my sculpting game. I had been sculpting Chaos Dwarfs and other stuff in the 90’s feel of miniatures, strongly influenced by the Herohammer style of miniatures.

However I just painted an Ilyad miniature based on the Black Moon Chronicals that really impressed me a lot. The mini in question was the Ilyad Snow Troll (example here is painted by James Wappel).


Especially the chain mail was so fine and realistic, simply amazing!

So i wanted to sculpt a Chaos Dwarf (like, what else right!?), whilst pushing my sculpting skills to the limit. Aditionally I just discovered Procreat, a sculpting medium that allows for a sharper finish than regular green stuff.

So off I went, i based the helmet of a drawing my talented brother made for me and the overall style is further influenced by the Roman/Greek armour of the time (yes, I had just watched the movie 300).


As you can see the bulk of the model is still made with greenstuff, this is because i prefer greenstuff for the more organic shapes. I wanted him to have a Greek style chest plate that mimics muscle tone, and i wanted a 300-style cape/mantle, so thats why I started with greenstuff.

Now it was time to start adding details and this is where the Procreate comes into play. Luckily the two mediums combine very well together. So started adding the beard, basic armour plates and the right hand gauntlet. I wanted the gauntlet to look almost dark elf like, sharp and menacing. This I could not imagine doing with greenstuff. Also I wanted to do realistic chainmail, with real rings. Eventhough the chainmail looked cool in real life these rings would have been really huge. Thats the difference with sculpting a 2.5cm figure as opposed to a 12cm tall Snow Troll






Eventhough the helmet was already done, I could now use the Procreate to sharpen it up a bit and make it less organic in appearance and additionaly complete the armour. The monstrous dog was added because I really wanted to add as much to figure as possible and again push my sculpting a bit further.



For the whole WIP thread, see here:

The mini found it's home at my friend Clam, who has casted it, so if you want one have a look here:

And Clam had him proffesionally painted by Mikkel Nyboe:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finally they are available!

 www.evillittlebuggers.com Website created by my brilliant and very IT savy son (goed werk Kas!). I have had the casts now for some time, bu...